Do clothes make a man?

I've often been told by my wife that I should take more care of my appearance. I'm notorious for turning up for conferences wearing sandals and bush shirts. Of course, I like to dress for comfort rather than to impress people but there is some long term thinking behind the attitude.
My Uncle, Prabhakar Menon, took the Civil Services exams twice in the late 1960s. The first time, his rank was 13 or thereabouts, apparently missing the IFS (foreign services) by one rank. Instead of taking an IAS (adminstrative services) seat, he decided to decline and try again the next year. In an account of the exam by someone else, I read 'I was surprised to see Prabhakar Menon turn up for the interview in a bush shirt. I knew he had qualified for the IAS last year.' Formal attire was nearly a requirement for these interviews. Why did he turn up in informal clothes? I can think of some reasons. He may have done well enough in the exam that he was confident that he would do well regardless of his attire. He may have made a conscious decision that he wanted to be judged by his responses in the interview rather than his clothing. He may even have realised that casual attire may set him apart from the other candidates. In any case, he topped the exam and joined the Foreign Service.
I think much of our formal wear is a hangover from colonial times. The neck-tie, for instance, serves no useful purpose as an article of clothing. It was an affectation of the British and those Indians who wished to imitate the British. Similarly, the hard black leather shoes are certainly inferior in function to the open sandals in warm weather and to soft soled walking shoes in cold weather. They are a hangover from times when they were expensive and a status symbol. Wearing them nowadays makes no sense at all. For women, formal wear seems to consist of either imitating men's formal wear or wearing ornate but revealing gowns which date from a time when their only aim in life was to snare a prestigious or rich spouse. High heels seem to be an unfortunate attempt to seem taller than they actually are.
I dislike formal clothes for many reasons.

  1. Wearing formal clothes for an important meeting or interview assumes that you are going to judged based on your appearance rather than on the content of what you have to say. I consciously reject this assumption and by dressing informally, insist that I be judged by the merits of what I have to say or the expertise I bring to the meeting.
  2. They are uncomfortable and serve no purpose. A formal jacket cannot compete with a jacket designed for warmth. Hard black leather shoes cannot compete with sandals or sneakers in terms of comfort.
  3. I am instantly suspicious of anyone in a suit and tie. They are trying to sell something, often themselves, which would not sell on merit.
Of course, it is easy to be informal at this stage of my career but this is not a new concept. I dressed informally for all my medical college exams, job interviews, US visa interviews etc. I dress informally for lectures I give, regardless of the event. This includes invited lectures at international conferences.
This is not to say that I have never worn a suit and tie. My wife flatly vetoed my notion of getting married in jeans and a T shirt. I did wear a suit on the occasion of a fellows reunion on Thomas Starzl's 80th birthday since it was made clear that formal dress was mandatory for the occasion. However, I no longer own any suits I can wear and my ties have been donated to my son for occasions when he may find that he has no option but to wear them.
Judge a package by the content rather than the cover.

Comments

  1. Absolutely. It is also a matter of liking. For example, I like suits and tie but only when the weather would permit it. I cannot tolerate much heat so the suit option is automatically out in summers and this I feel would hold true for quite some people and yet I see many students and older gentlemen(?) wearing suits or a full sleeve shirt on a hot afternoon for reasons beyond my comprehension! The most important thing to be paid attention you, like you correctly pointed out, is comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *to be paid attention to (Couldn't correct the typo in my earlier comment)

      Delete
    2. Your liking a suit and tie is about as convincing as a Muslim woman saying that she likes the burqa. The fact is that she has been conditioned by a regressive religion to think that she likes the symbol of her repression just as you have been conditioned by a regressive society to think that you like a suit and tie.

      Delete
    3. But can't that be said for almost anything we like? We are conditioned to like it? And even if it is, as long as it is affecting anyone and is just a mere choice, should it matter much? Comparing a burqa and a suit/tie isn't bordering bordering on false equivalence? The entire concept of burqa is totally different as compared to a suit/tie. Additionally, take for example a bush shirt. I love bush shirts for the reason that they can be worn without much hassle, removed without much hassle and if a proper fit is bought, can be quite comfortable. There might be a different person with a preference for a polo or t-shirt (round neck) and their reason could be of comfort and it would actually make more sense as there are no buttons in those cases and as with bush shirts, if bought of an appropriate size they would be comfortable too.

      Suppose in winters, I find jackets/blazers to be a far better option than a sweatshirt or sweaters but of course I have to succumb to societal expectations that blazers are more formal and they find it weird if I wear it to classrooms whereas I am just choosing the most comfortable option in hand.

      Delete
    4. The usual formal jacket or blazer is not designed for warmth. It leaves a considerable portion of the chest exposed to the elements. A warm garment zips up to ensure that cold air does not find its way underneath.

      Delete
    5. But again, isn't that a matter of personal choice and like I mentioned earlier, I am not a big fan of summers/high temperatures (I find it difficult to stand summers/high temp), I also like winters and usually don't feel cold unless it gets below 5 degrees. Even if it is around 10 outside, I would be just fine in shorts with no discomfort. In such cases, going out swearing a sweater or any garment that covers up a major portion or almost the entire torso would be an actual discomfort for me. Wouldn't it is logical to wear a jacket (not a formal/dinner jacket, a chained/zipper one) or a blazer that actually covers my body enough to generate the right amount of warmth and not over do cause I wouldn't want to just start sweating everywhere. That would be highly inconvenient.

      Delete
    6. You're trying very hard to justify something for which there is no logical justification.

      Delete
    7. All I mean to say is that it seems as a mixture between personal choice/preference and comfort. And both of these things are subjective.

      Delete
  2. . Great post sir. It's great to see you read you piece of writings. My parents also keep telling me to dress " smartly ". But I feel suffocated whenever I wear something which I don't find comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what happening in the interview.they wear borrowed tie and suit in the interview for the first time.they act as if they were passionate for job.they fool each other that we are suit boot guys;honest and intelligent ones

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not relevant to this topic, but I wonder how your uncle took civil service exam again even after qualifying for IAS. Usually if one qualifies for either IAS or IFS, he'll be ineligible for all further UPSC examinations (or something like that) as that's the highest post one can reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can take the exam again if you decline the position.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is a mentor?

More Ruminations on Religion