Driving in America

As I drove from Pittsburgh to Ann Arbor yesterday, I was ruminating on the differences between road traffic in India and that in the US.
The highways are generally good although it seems to me that they are not in as good condition as they were 10 years ago. Maybe Trump has a point when he talks about decaying infrastructure.
The speed I felt was safe was about 90 to 100 kmph. However it was impossible to drive at that speed even in the slow lane on the right. Trucks (which are supposed to have a speed limit of about 85) would come right up behind me, then swing over to the faster lane (which they are not supposed to do in most stretches of the highway) and swing back into the slow lane sufficiently close to my car to emphasize that they were not happy about having to perform the maneuver. Those trucks are huge. We passed one truck which was carrying five more trucks. It was like a rigid train.
I changed tactics and increased my speed to just under the speed limit. The speed limit is 112 kmph for cars. I accelerated to 111 and put the car in cruise control (constant speed mode). I realised that nobody keeps to the speed limit on the highway. Cars were zipping past me in the faster lane as though I was standing still. However I determinedly kept to the speed limit for the drive.
On the way we passed a reminder of the cost of speed. A car had spun out of control and was badly smashed. The police had cordoned off the lane and there was a traffic jam about 5 km long which took us nearly half an hour to get across.
The 457 km drive took about 5 hours despite a stop for food.
The Yamuna expressway is the only highway I've driven on in India which allows these kind of speeds.
The future, obviously, is to have driverless vehicles and cut down on accidents due to human error but introducing them in India is going to be a nightmare.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do clothes make a man?

What is a mentor?

More Ruminations on Religion