Hooked on Classics

Many years ago, when I was in school, someone gave me a small FM radio. There was very little FM programming at that time. Randomly tuning into different stations, I found a program called 'Classically Yours'. They played three pieces of music which hooked me instantly. I defy anyone to listen to these three compositions and not fall in love with the music.

The first movement from 'Spring' from Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons'.

https://youtu.be/e3nSvIiBNFo

The first movement from Mozart's Symphony No. 40.

https://youtu.be/mG0Fx-JtANs

Ravel's Bolero

https://youtu.be/dZDiaRZy0Ak

I faithfully tuned into the program every day but there was no other way of getting to hear classical music. My Uncle had a collection of LPs and a non-functional record player. I managed to repair the record player and play the LPs.

It was only after I was in college that a friend of mine there introduced me to a shop in Connaught Place called Bluebird which used to keep a few cassettes of Western Classical Music. He would have about a dozen cassettes at a time. We would visit every 6 months or so and buy about half his inventory. He would then get more random albums to replace the ones we bought.

Comments

  1. The first one is really good. Didn't like the others. Any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beethoven's Fur Elise.
    Mozart's Rondo a la Turka
    Rossini's William Tell Overture
    Khachaturian's Sabre Dance
    Rinsky Korsakoff's Dance of the Bumblebee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, how did you repair the record player!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do clothes make a man?

What is a mentor?

More Ruminations on Religion