Against Multi-tasking

We seem to do too many things at the same time.
We're having dinner, watching TV, reading the newspaper and having a conversation with someone on the phone all at much the same time. We do not focus on the food, do not realise when we have had enough and get into the habit of eating far too much. To gain our attention, albeit briefly, the food is strongly flavoured, the TV is trying to make us listen to the ranting maniac shouting at 6 different people, all trying to say what they came to say, none listening to the other and the newspaper creates flaring headlines trying to catch our attention.
This excess of 'input' means we do not focus on any one thing for long. The TV, of course, has its own version of ADHD interrupting the programming for advertising so frequently that there is little continuity of narrative in the program.
Shifting focus from one thing to the other, never following a train of thought to its logical conclusion, we have become a distracted people, doing nothing well and unable to follow a train of logical thought on our own, dependent on predigested memes which are force fed to us in 10 second increments.
We tell ourselves that we're too busy to do one thing at a time and that we're being very efficient by doing so many things at the same time. However, the truth is at the other end of the spectrum. Much of what we're doing is not necessary (instead of having the TV on all the time, try deciding what you actually want to watch and switch it off when you're done) or can be done better if done one thing at a time.
Mindfulness is something which can be taught. It has been found effective for a wide range of medical problems including ADHD in young adults, mood and anxiety disorders and even supposedly entirely physical problems like lower back pain, irritable bowel syndrome, cardiovascular disorders like hypertension and type II diabetes. In fact, a considerable part of the benefit of Yoga and Meditation is attributable to merely getting people to focus on one thing.
I used to listen to music without really focusing on it. It was a pleasant sound in the background while I was doing something else. I enjoy having music playing in the background while operating and my playlist is now long enough to get me through a liver transplant without repetition. I liked the loud thumping passionate music of groups like Linkin Park. Occasional passages of the lyrics would catch my attention but I made no effort to understand each sentence. After Chester Bennington's suicide, I began to pay more attention to the lyrics, spending time doing nothing else other than listening to the music. I realised that these were incredibly intelligent passionate songs steeped in distress at the state of human society. Listen to 'Leave out all the rest': https://youtu.be/Ag-hSx-Iqys
Don't be afraid
I've taken my beating
I've shared what I've made
I'm strong on the surface
Not all the way through
I've never been perfect
But neither have you
So, if you're asking me, I want you to know
When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed
And don't resent me

Or to get back into an optimistic mood after that, listen to Beethoven's Symphony No 9. Give it the time it deserves.

https://youtu.be/t3217H8JppI

When I was a medical student I had a kind of focus which I find myself often losing nowadays. I read alone in my room. I read my medical textbooks in much the same way that I read novels and comics. I had a Kerala style easy chair of canvas slung on a wooden frame in my hostel room. I read unhurriedly, made no notes and underlined nothing. It worked well. Now, however, I keep getting distracted and feel the need to make notes when I read to keep my focus on the material I'm reading. Of course, this means I progress much slower even though it seems like I'm making more effort. I need to get back to my medical school style even though my brain has undoubtedly deteriorated from what it was then.

I find my memory deteriorating. Like a hard drive full of junk, it is becoming more and more difficult to retrieve the correct memories when they are required.

Less multi-tasking and more mindfulness, I think is the need of the day. We need to take time to insulate ourselves from the chaos around us.

Switch off the TV. Turn notifications off on the phone except for the really important things. Switch off the laptop when you're not actually working on it. Look at your food when you're eating. When you want to listen to music, really listen to it. Read a book. Without hurrying. Without doing anything else but reading.

Life gets better.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do clothes make a man?

What is a mentor?

More Ruminations on Religion